Emery prepared for Negredo exit
Spain striker Alvaro Negredo could be edging ever closer to a move away from Sevilla, after his coach Unai Emery admitted it would best for everyone if he left.
The 27-year-old, who scored 25 Primera Division goals last season - a tally only bettered by Lionel Messi, Cristiano Ronaldo and Radamel Falcao - has indicated he would like to leave this summer, with Manchester City reportedly among the interested parties.
The Andalusian club rejected a bid for him from La Liga rivals Atletico Madrid, while president Jose Maria Del Nido has stressed he has not received any formal bids for Negredo from City, who signed winger Jesus Navas from Sevilla in June.
Negredo told the club's official website earlier this week that he would not force a move, but would also be open to leaving.
He said: "Right now, I'm at Seville and like it very much there. If I stay that'll be fine but if I leave then it will be because it benefits both the club and myself."
Sevilla signed Colombia forward Carlos Bacca from Club Brugge on Wednesday for 6million euros, while Raul Rusescu was acquired from Steaua Bucharest in June.
The signings appeared to indicate the club were preparing for Negredo's departure, and coach Emery does not expect his top scorer to be around for much longer.
"The most likely situation is that he will leave," he told a press conference.
"It's possible the club can't reach an agreement for him, but we are prepared, we have spent some time working on alternatives.
"Of course we're not going to find a player with the same characteristics as him or one who is going to have the same record, but we will find players who will be important to the future of this club, and I trust the work the club is doing in that area."
Related Manchester City News