skip to content

D-day for Adebayor as Man City striker faces hearing for Arsenal celebration

01 Oct 2009 11:31:42

D-day for Adebayor as Man City striker faces hearing for Arsenal celebration

Emmanuel Adebayor has been fined £25,000 for his provocative celebration in front of Arsenal fans during Manchester City's 4-2 win at Eastlands last month. The Togo striker has also been given a suspended two-match ban, which will only be activated in the case of similar behaviour, meaning he is available to face Aston Villa on Monday. During an FA hearing at Wembley, Adebayor admitted a charge of improper conduct relating to the goal celebration on September 12. Adebayor's celebration against his old club received widespread condemnation, including from Greater Manchester Police. The 25-year-old let emotion get the better of him after netting against Arsenal and ran the length of the pitch before sliding on his knees in front of the travelling supporters. The FA said in a statement: 'In reaching its decision the Commission took into account his admission of the charge, public apology and the extremely provocative nature of the abuse he received. 'However, the Commission also stated that players have a responsibility to conduct themselves in a proper manner and that such celebrations are unacceptable and have the potential to cause a serious public order incident. 'The two match ban was suspended until December 2010 and will be activated in the event of a similar breach of FA rules' Relieved City boss Mark Hughes applauded the decision and now welcomes Adebayor back into his ambitious side. 'There has been a lot said and written about Emmanuel’s goal celebration,' he said. 'We are just glad to put it all behind us now and I am relieved he will be able to play at Aston Villa on Monday night. 'Manu was in great form before his suspension and having him available again is a huge boost to us.' Adebayor has already served a three-match ban for stamping on Robin van Persie in the same match.


Daily_Mail

Sponsored links