- Manchester City News
- News Archive
- League Table
- Premier League News
City's 25m bid for James Milner rejected by Villa
Published : 20 May 2010 04:58:20Rss feed
| Submit Comments| Comments (135)| Printable Version1/1Play SlideshowClose MapCITY are mulling over a second offer for James Milner after Aston Villa turned down a bid worth £25million. The Blues lodged their bid on Tuesday morning, but Villa turned it down late last night. And a brief statement from the Midlands club said they intend to make the PFA Young Player of the Year a new contract offer once the World Cup is over. The 24-year-old England ace has emerged as a prime target of the Blues, who lodged their interest in the player on Tuesday morning. But Villa reacted strongly to the bid, which is for an initial £20million plus add-ons for appearances, success and England caps. They said: ?We have received an offer from Manchester City and this has been firmly rejected. We plan to sit down with James Milner and his representative after the World Cup to agree a new long-term deal, and this remains our position.? Milner is currently in Austria at the England squad?s training camp, and City prefer to have the deal done before he flies out to South Africa early next month for the World Cup finals. Both Villa owner Randy Lerner and manager Martin O?Neill have said in recent weeks that Milner is not for sale, after interest from both City and United. City want to test that resolve, and see Milner as having the perfect profile for the team they want to build over the next two or three years. Milner was named as the PFA Young Player of the Year last month after a superb season for Villa, playing chiefly in central midfield. But many see his best position as on either flank, raising the prospect that if City land him, he could interchange with Adam Johnson, who has claimed the right-wing berth.
Related Manchester City News