Barry targets England recall
Manchester City midfielder Gareth Barry has set his sights on reclaiming his place in the England side after his recent omission.
Barry was forced to miss Euro 2012 with an abdominal injury and did not return to action until last month. That also cost him a place in Roy Hodgson's squad for the opening World Cup qualifiers and he is again watching as the national team take on San Marino and Poland over the next fortnight.
Reports on Monday suggested Hodgson is set to add midfielders Jonjo Shelvey of Liverpool and Chelsea's Ryan Bertrand to his squad to cover injuries ahead of the qualifiers, which would mark the former's maiden senior call-up. Barry said:
"I have not spoken to the England manager, but I understand why I am not in it. My season hasn't really got going, and I am still getting over the injury."
"I am hopeful that if I can get a run in the team, and get some games together, I will be in the next squad."
"I am obviously disappointed because I want to play for my country but I am not ready to retire yet, and will just keep working hard."
"I am not going to say too much. I just want to work hard to get back."
Barry admits it has been doubly frustrating because Hodgson only took charge in the summer. The 30-year-old had wanted to make an impression on the new manager but knows he must bide his time. He said: "The injury came at the wrong time with the new manager coming in.
"It is tough sometimes to force your way back in - I have experienced it before."
"The manager is picking players he has called up, and relied on, during the summer and is probably thinking there is no need to oust them at the minute."
"It's just down to me to keep working hard, keep my place in the team and then force my way back in."
"Sometimes you need a bit of luck with injuries and so on, but I'm confident that when the call comes, the manager knows what I can do and I'm sure that if there's a space for me I will be called upon."
Barry, who played 90 minutes in City's 3-0 Premier League win over Sunderland on Saturday, will spend the international break working on his fitness. He said:
"We have a couple of days off now and then will be back to work on ticking over, and keeping the fitness up."
"It will be frustrating for me because I was looking forward to a run of games, and the international break has come at the wrong time."
"But it's about making sure we are fresh when the games come again."
Related Manchester City News