Wayne Rooney talks continue as fans besiege mansion

22 October 2010 10:34
Officers were called to the footballer's £4.5 million mansion in the village of Prestbury, Cheshire, at 8.30pm last night after a mob of up to 30 people descended on the property.

The protest by fans came after Rooney, 24, dropped the bombshell that he no longer wanted to play for the Red Devils.

 Related ArticlesThere's Roon Down UnderWas Rooney right or wrong?Evra puts the boot into disloyal team-mateNo resolution from Rooney talksFerguson delivers virtuoso display as Rooney plays second fiddleUnited's Rooney statement inconclusiveThere is rising speculation that the former Everton player may leave to join United's great rivals, super-rich Manchester City - a nightmare scenario for Old Trafford fans.

The star's refusal to sign a new contract was revealed by a crestfallen Sir Alex Ferguson earlier this week and has been met with rising anger by supporters of the club.

Rooney's home, which he shares with his wife Coleen and son Kai, is surrounded by a wall and gates for added security.

The house is on a ''millionaires' row'' with Rooney's neighbours including fellow United players, Wes Brown and Michael Carrick.

Cheshire Police confirmed an incident had occurred in the affluent village south east of Manchester, but refused to give further details.

A spokesman for the force said: ''Cheshire Police can confirm that at 8.30pm, a call was received from a resident in Prestbury regarding 20 to 30 people assembling outside their address.

''Police attended the scene and the group dispersed peacefully. No offences were disclosed.''

Meanwhile the club's chief executive, David Gill, has pleaded for patience as talks with the player continue.

After claiming on Wednesday evening, hours after Rooney released a statement confirming that United no longer matched his ambition, that he wanted the whole matter ''put to bed'', manager Sir Alex Ferguson held talks with Mr Gill at Old Trafford yesterday.

Mr Gill subsequently spoke with Rooney's trusted adviser Paul Stretford. While there was nothing positive to announce, there was nothing definitive on the player's exit either.

''We are aware that there is intense public and media interest on the club at the moment, but there are no developments of note to report,'' read an official club statement.

''We can confirm a number of meetings have taken place today, including with the player's representative.

''The outcome of those meetings will become clear in the near future. In the meantime, fans are asked to be patient.''

Source: Telegraph