Antonio Valencia is adamant that he was not brought to Manchester United to replace Cristiano Ronaldo.
The Ecuadorian international arrived at Old Trafford last month just a few weeks after the Premier League champions had accepted a world record bid from Real Madrid for Ronaldo.
The 23-year-old cost the Red Devils £16million from Wigan but Ferguson is said to have been keeping tabs on the winger for the last year at least.
Valencia is determined to prove his worth but declares that he will not compare himself to the Portuguese Fifa World Player of the Year.
"I have mentioned this a few times in the past when I first spoke
to Manchester United it was never said that I was coming to replace Cristiano Ronaldo," he said.
"Obviously he did very well here because he is a great player but I am here to do the things that I do well.
"I have got a real desire to succeed and I will never compare myself to him."
Valencia was unveiled at United's training ground in Carrington on Monday alongside Michael Owen and Gabriel Obertan.
French Under 21 international Obertan insists he is just focusing on improving as a player and stopped short of concurring with the suggestion that he could be named in the France World Cup squad next summer.
"If I play on the pitch in every game, if just for a few minutes, I think it's going to be great. I will work hard for it so we will see," he stated.
"I don't know, it would be pretentious now," he commented when asked about South Africa 2010. "I will work hard to progress and then we will see."