Wayne Rooney wants Manchester United to sign a hit striker this summer to help boost their bid for trophies next season.
United head into the final day of the Barclays Premier League season having scored 82 goals this campaign, 14 more than last year but 13 less than rivals Chelsea. The defending champions look likely to lose their crown to Chelsea on Sunday and Rooney feels they need to bolster their front tine if they are to reclaim the title.
In an interview with The People, he said: "If we can bring in two big-name players in it would give us a good chance of getting the League back if Chelsea do win it."
He added: "If you look at the team in 1999 that won the Treble we had four forwards, all capable of scoring goals.
"Now there is me, (Dimitar) Berbatov and Michael Owen. There is Federico Macheda too, but if we can get one more top forward in it would give us the right balance."
Speculation is rife that a number of clubs are planning audacious attempts to prise Rooney away from Old Trafford - although United are highly unlikely to sell him at any price. And the 24-year-old is happy to remain in Manchester.
He added: "I have two years left on my current contract so talks haven't started yet on a new one. But I am sure after the World Cup we will sit down and speak about a new deal."
Rooney, who is recovering from ankle and groin injuries, has had a fantastic season which has seen him notch 34 goals in all competitions.
His stunning form means United have barely registered the absence of Cristiano Ronaldo, who left to Real Madrid last summer, and Rooney is expecting more of the same next year.
"I've been disappointed with the last month of the season with injuries but overall I am more than happy with the number of goals I have scored this season," he added. "The manager told me he would be playing me more up front and I knew that with Ronaldo and (Carlos) Tevez leaving I would have to score more goals."