Rooney unlikely to return after three-week lay-off
29 October 2010 10:30
Viewed : 13
Manchester United striker Wayne Rooney could be out for longer than the three weeks first thought, manager Sir Alex Ferguson has said.
Rooney, who signed a new five-year contract at Old Trafford last week, is currently away resting after suffering an ankle injury.
When asked at a press conference on Friday if three weeks was still the prognosis, Ferguson said: "I think it may be longer."
Rooney, 25, was injured in training last week during an extraordinary few days that ended with him committing his future to the club after previously stating a desire to leave.
He has since been given permission to travel to Dubai to recuperate.
Ferguson said: "There is no recovery, it is just rest. Before he went away we did his remedial in terms of what we could do at the time. Thereafter, rest - we're quite happy with that."