Wayne Rooney will consider taking legal action against the News of the World after Scotland Yard detectives told him he may have been a phone hacking target.
The Manchester United and England striker was visited last week by detectives who showed him pages from private investigator Glenn Mulcaire's notebook. Rooney's mobile phone number and those of his associates were listed on the pages seized by police, it is alleged.
Rooney will wait until the end of the football season before deciding what civil action to take, and a source close to the player said: "He wants to concentrate on his football until then. I think any football fan would understand that."
The matter came to light after Rooney revealed his meeting with police on Twitter.
Under his username @wazzaroon08, he wrote: "Scotland Yard detectives came to see me earlier and showed me some documents, looks like a newspaper have hacked into my phone.#Bigsurprise#."
Rooney's wife Coleen also tweeted: "Newspapers hacking into phones!! Desperate and Disgusting!!!! X"
A Scotland Yard spokesman was unable to confirm that a meeting with Rooney had taken place, but said it was "up to him" what he wrote on the website.
The inquiry into whether Rooney had his voicemails intercepted by the Sunday tabloid comes after claims earlier this month that his agent, Paul Stretford, was also a target.
Three journalists at the paper have been arrested since the Metropolitan Police reopened their inquiry into claims that staff hacked into the answerphone messages of celebrities and politicians.
A host of high-profile names who have made claims against the News of the World, including actress Sienna Miller and former culture secretary Tessa Jowell, have received apologies from the newspaper. It has been estimated that News International has set aside Â£20million for payouts.