Tonight sees Manchester United play host to Chelsea in what has always been regarded as one of the quality fixtures in the Premiership calendar. This year though, the arrival of the ‘special one’ for a second term and the appointment of David Moyes replacing Sir Alex Ferguson sees this fixture take on extra significance.
Fevzi Hussein looks back at some of the previous meetings and some of the more interesting facts around the stars who are sure to make the headlines.
* These two teams have played each other a total of 142 times in the league with Manchester United shading the wins by 59 to 41. There have been a total of 42 draws.
* Since the Premiership began in the 1992/93 season they have played each other a total of 41 times and are Chelsea currently edge their rivals with 14 wins to 13.
* Utd’s biggest victory over Chelsea at home was back in 1960 where they beat the blues 6-0.
* Chelsea have managed only two clean sheets in their last 18 trips to Old Trafford.
* David Moyes record against Chelsea is not great. In 31 games he has only won 4 matches.
* Jose Mourinho has only lost twice in 10 matches as Chelsea boss to Manchester Utd.
* The last seven meetings between these clubs have yielded an impressive 30 goals which averages out at over 4 goals a game.
* Last season saw the teams were drawn against each other in both domestic cups and played each other a total of five times with Chelsea remaining unbeaten in all but one of the games, which was a defeat in the league at home.
There are many interesting factors being thrown into to tonight’s game. David Moyes has started well in managerial career with Utd, but tonight will be his first real test. Mourinho on the other hand and been there and done it and will be relishing the opportunity to show Old Trafford who is the boss. Both clubs will be there or thereabouts come the end of the season and anyone finishing above either of these will have a real shout of winning the Premiership.