Manchester United manager David Moyes has admitted there is a need to bring in new faces during the transfer window but insists he will not be pressurised into it.
Moyes is still to make his first significant signing since replacing Sir Alex Ferguson.
He had a joint bid for Everton duo Leighton Baines and Marouane Fellaini turned down on Monday and has also failed to prise Cesc Fabregas away from Barcelona.
However, whilst Moyes acknowledges his squad requires bolstering, he will not spend just for the sake of it.
"There is a need to do it but there's no pressure to do it," said Moyes.
"It's something we've been talking about it since I took the job on July 1.
"I have an idea of where I'd like to strengthen but we won't do it because people tell us we should be signing players.
"If the right players are available great, but if not the first thing we'll do is encourage our own young players in the squad to do as well as they did last year."
United have made it plain this summer they do have the funds to compete in the transfer market, a situation Moyes underlined.
"Yes I do (believe there is value in the market)," said Moyes.