The Manchester United full-back impressed against AC Milan on Wednesday night and the England manager will turn to the 35-year-old if there are concerns over the fitness of Glen Johnson or Wes Brown in May.
Close call: Gary Neville challenges AC Milan's Ronaldinho during Manchester United's victory in the Champions League clash
Sources close to Capello insist that Neville is third in the pecking order when it comes to right-backs - ahead of players like Micah Richards - and the Italian is encouraged by the fact that he has now made 20 appearances for United this season after a difficult two or three years with injury.
There have been concerns over Johnson and Brown. Johnson only returned to action for Liverpool on Monday because of a knee injury he suffered in late December and Brown is now facing six weeks on the sidelines after fracturing a metatarsal in his left foot at Wolves on Saturday.
Neville has had more than his fair share of problems. A serious ankle injury ruled him out for most of the 2007-08 season and appearances have been limited since then.
National service: Gary Neville tracks Croatia's Niko Kranjcar during the EURO 2008 qualifier in Zagreb
His last England cap came against Spain in February 2007, although Capello did recall him to his squad for the World Cup qualifiers against Kazakhstan and Andorra last May. One more England appearance would see Neville equal Kenny Sansom's record for an England full-back.
Neville has certainly not ruled himself out for the World Cup.
'England is out of my hands,' he said after shining in Wednesday night's 4-0 defeat of Milan. 'It has not happened for two or three years and I am not holding out for a call. But I have not retired. I always said I never would. I am playing for United and I would play for my country.'