Tevez's proposed move to Corinthians has fallen through, after it became obvious the Brazilian outfit did not have immediate access to the £40million fee which had been agreed.
It leaves the South American in a quandary, given his stated desire to be somewhere more accessible to wife Vanesa and two daughters and previously disparaging comments about life in Manchester.
There is also the little matter of his relationship with team-mates should he return to the Blues after the short break which has followed Argentina's elimination from the Copa America.
It has been suggested some City players have urged manager Roberto Mancini to strip Tevez of the captain's armband, with Kompany a more stable alternative.
That is not an issue the Belgian wishes to consider.
The 25-year-old defender is focused purely on day one of the new season, which for him comes on August 7, when City square up to Manchester United in the Community Shield at Wembley.
By then, with or without Tevez, Kompany expects the Blues to be more formidable.
"Until there is an actual signature and it is confirmed he is not a Manchester City player any more, I don't have to comment," said Kompany.
"What I do know is that the group will be stronger next season, with or without him.
"Whether he stays or goes, it won't change what we want to achieve. The goals remain the same."
Improvement on a season that brought a third-place finish and automatic entry into the Champions League, plus an end to a 35-year trophy drought, does not leave much room outside a tilt at the title.
For that, City will need Kompany to show the form which earned him so many positive reviews last term.
Not that Kompany wants to measure himself on the campaign as a whole.
"I did set a standard last season but I feel I have improved because I have not been thinking about my performances over an entire season," he said.
"As far as I am concerned, my last game was Bolton on the final day of the season. My next will be against Manchester United in the Community Shield, when I hope to be better.
"I am having a good pre-season so far. I feel fit and strong and things are positive. I want to keep it that way."
With Tevez though, life is never so straightforward.
Privately, City had always questioned whether the Corinthians deal would go through, so they have not entirely been shocked by the latest twist in developments.
The Brazilians are suggesting the transfer may be resurrected in January, although it is hard to see that going any more smoothly.
"The board of Sporting Club Corinthians hereby officially announce the impossibility of hiring the Argentinian striker Carlos Tevez," said the Corinthians statement.
"While acknowledging the efforts of Manchester City and all involved in the negotiation, more time is needed for the transfer to be achieved, given that the window to sign players from abroad closes on Wednesday, July 20.
"We aware of the dream our fans had of having this player at Corinthians again and we look forward to him being with us in the near future."