The Blues confirmed the news on Wednesday evening following a telephone conference involving senior staff, including chairman Khaldoon al-Mubarak.
It comes in the wake of Tevez's refusal to play against Bayern Munich on Tuesday and seems certain to be the start of a drawn-out disciplinary process that will end a stormy two-year period with the club.
"Manchester City can confirm that striker Carlos Tevez has been suspended until further notice for a maximum period of two weeks," said a short statement released by City.
"The player's suspension is pending a full review into his alleged conduct during Tuesday evening's 2-0 defeat to Bayern Munich.
"The player will not be considered for selection or take part in training whilst the review is under way."
Aware of Tevez's intention to report for training in line with his stance of "fulfilling his contractual obligations" as outlined in the statement he released early on Wednesday morning, City felt they needed to act to avoid a media circus at Carrington.
Having already stated his desire for Tevez never to play for the Blues again, manager Roberto Mancini had no wish for the Argentina forward to be around as planning began for Saturday's Premier League trip to Blackburn.
Now City have time to complete a thorough investigation of events at the Allianz Arena, when Mancini claimed the 27-year-old simply refused to play, having been overlooked first for the visitors' starting line-up, then as replacement for Edin Dzeko at the start of the second half.
Condemnation of Tevez's refusal to play has been almost universal.
Tottenham boss Harry Redknapp was amongst the most vocal critics of a player who was a hero at his old club West Ham.
For Tevez, the turmoil is nothing new. And being turned away from a local golf course as it was fully booked merely added to the sense of chaos in a life for which the football pitch has tended to be an oasis.
However, City have taken advantage of a planned day off for their first-team squad to give the whole furore some breathing space.
The gap was not used to try and change Mancini's mind. Instead, officials were ensuring any action they take will not be the subject of appeals by Tevez, as prima-face as the evidence appears to be.
As the two-week period incorporates an international break, in theory, Tevez has only been stood down for one game.
However, before planning begins for the October 15 encounter with Aston Villa at the Etihad Stadium, a more formal conclusion is expected to have been reached.
Most likely is a January sale, although that would leave Tevez hanging around for another three months, bringing with it huge potential for disruption.
However, given the vast Abu Dhabi wealth bankrolling the entire City operation, it cannot entirely be discounted that the man who skippered the Blues to their FA Cup triumph in May, the club's first silverware since 1976, will have his contract cancelled, or that he will be left to fester until the end of his deal in 2014.
Compromise is not on the agenda.
The claims Tevez made in his own statement on his conduct on Wednesday morning - that there had been a misunderstanding - have been ridiculed by senior City staff, as has the notion the South American's failure to start more than two games for the Blues amounts to some kind of victimisation on Mancini's part.
A source, who knows both parties well - and likes Tevez as an individual - does not believe Mancini would engage in such conduct, especially over a player that, prior to last night's events he has indulged to such a huge extent and still felt had a positive contribution to make.
It does seem the combined 15 goals so far contributed to City's season by Edin Dzeko and Sergio Aguero amounts to a fairly heavy counterbalance to Tevez's inclusion.
"I would like to apologise to all Manchester City fans, with whom I have always had a strong relationship, for any misunderstanding that occurred in Munich," said Tevez in his statement.
"They understand that when I am on the pitch I have always given my best for the club.
"In Munich on Tuesday I had warmed up and was ready to play. This is not the right time to get into specific details as to why this did not happen. But I wish to state that I never refused to play.
"There was some confusion on the bench and I believe my position may have been misunderstood.
"Going forward I am ready to play when required and to fulfil my obligations."
The "misunderstanding" apparently came down to Tevez's belief that when Mancini asked him to warm up, prior to a potential introduction, the forward felt he was already prepared, having only just returned to his seat in the visitors' dug-out at the Allianz Arena.
It is also suggested Tevez was willing to play, something Mancini vehemently denies, a stance which has left Khaldoon with no option other than to back his manager strongly, knowing the Italian would be seriously undermined if he failed.
"He (Mancini) has dealt with it in the way he thinks is right," said assistant manager David Platt. "I think he is right."