Manchester City boss Roberto Mancini claims he does not always forgive controversial striker Mario Balotelli for his misdemeanours - but says his latest one was "nothing".
Mancini is prepared to give Balotelli "another 100 chances" after playing down this week's confrontation between the pair on the training ground. Mancini was photographed grappling with his fellow Italian in a training-ground bust-up, the latest in a long line of controversies involving the 22-year-old forward.
The manager insists the matter was soon over and was blown out of proportion because of the player involved and the pictures made the incident look bad. Mancini said: "I don't always forgive him. Sometimes he was out for three or four weeks. I hope he can understand. Yesterday was nothing, compared to what he did other times. It is finished."
The latest headline-grabbing Balotelli moment came just over a fortnight after he dropped his challenge to a Premier League tribunal over a club fine at the 11th hour.
There had been speculation since then that Balotelli, who has not played since December 9 due first to selection decisions and then a virus, could be sold during this month's transfer window. That has been dismissed by Mancini, who remains determined to coax the best out of his former Inter Milan protege.
He said: "I will give him another 100 chances, if it is possible, if I think he can change. I am here for this. Sometimes I am upset with him because he doesn't do everything for this, but I give him another chance, sure. This doesn't change anything, this is something that can happen."
Balotelli, who joined City for Â£24million from Inter in 2010, has previously clashed on the training ground with team-mates Micah Richards, Vincent Kompany and Jerome Boateng.
All were captured by photographers because City's Carrington training base is surrounded by public footpaths and the fences erected for privacy cannot be made higher due to planning regulations.
The latest flashpoint occurred when Balotelli made a bad tackle on Scott Sinclair in a training match and Mancini ordered him off. Mancini grabbed Balotelli after he refused to leave but incident was quickly dealt with.
Mancini said: "It (the tackle) was two red cards probably, if the referee was there. I wanted him to leave the pitch and Mario said, 'No, I don't want to leave'. But it is finished now. The problem we have on that pitch is that we don't have a screen. We are happy for the paparazzi to get money for this!"