Manchester City defender Micah Richards determined to reclaim starting place
20 October 2009 01:56
Viewed : 12
Richards, 21, returned to the starting line-up against Wigan at the weekend with captain Kolo Toure sidelined with a heel injury.
The former England defender had been dropped by Hughes and replaced at right-back by Argentina defender Pablo Zabaleta following an unconvincing display in the 4-3 defeat against Manchester United last month.
Hughes: big-four no longer invincible
Robinho declares his admiration for Barcelona
City increase national service
Tevéz issues quit threat
Man City have no plans to sell Robinho
Paper View: Benfica offer Eriksson escape from Man City
Zabaleta is now set to miss the clash with Fulham at Eastlands on Sunday, however, following his dismissal for two yellow cards at the DW Stadium.
Richards is likely to reclaim the right-back jersey against Roy Hodgson’s team, but he admits that he is fully prepared to battle it out to consolidate a starting spot, despite speculation linking him with a move away from City.
He said: "To suggest that I want to leave City is absolutely ridiculous. I have three-and-a-half years left on my contract and, when you look at the way this club is going, who in their right mind would want to leave?
"I am 21 years of age and people seem to forget that I am still learning my trade. I am just enjoying the ride.
"There is perhaps the impression out there that I am bit older than I am, but I know I am not the finished product."
Richards insists that he is supportive of Hughes’s policy of keeping faith with players who have performed well in the first-team.
He said: "Obviously everyone wants to be playing, but by the same token, when people are in the team and doing well the manager can't just drop them.”