Hughes rues missed opportunity

25 October 2009 06:24
Manchester City boss Mark Hughes was disappointed not to have capitalised on Saturday's Premier League results after their 2-2 draw with Fulham on Sunday. City raced into a two-goal lead early in the second-half before almost immediately being pegged back by an in-form Fulham side. Joleon Lescott grabbed his first goal for the club while Martin Petrov grabbed his third goal in as many starts as the hosts were seemingly cruising. However, the inspirational Damien Duff pulled a goal back and Clint Dempsey evened up the score in a whirlwind flurry of second-half goals. With Tottenham, Aston Villa and Sunderland each dropping points on Saturday, City had an opportunity to pull away from the pack but instead find themselves down to sixth in the Premier League table, albeit with a game in hand. Hughes told Sky Sports: "It's disappointing we had an opportunity today because a number of results went our way yesterday and we could have capitalised on that but unfortunately we were unable to. "We allowed them back into the game almost immediately after the second goal so we're disappointed obviously, because in that situation - two goals up at home - we should see the game out. Credit"But credit to Fulham, they were well organised and made it difficult for us. So we were in a decent place at 2-0 and given that they had a lot of people behind the ball and frustrated us for long periods. "But obviously they got the initial goal back and that lifted them and unfortunately we haven't done our jobs on the set play. "And Dempsey, who we acknowledged before the game as a good header of the ball, and I told the guys in no uncertain terms as regards to him, but we allowed him to score. "And at 2-2 you have to restart and go again. So we're disappointed, because like I say, at 2-0 to the good we should be better than that." During a goalless first half, City defender Micah Richards had a goal ruled out after Gareth Barry was judged to have fouled his marker behind him. Hughes refused to lament the decision, but he recognises its significance and feels had the goal stood, the game may have panned out differently. He said: "We had a look at it at half-time and to be fair, it's something made of nothing. What the referee thought happened was very slight contact I think. "It's a harsh decision and if we'd scored in the first-half it might have had a different complexion on the game."

Source: SKY_Sports