keeper Joe Hart says his place in Fabio Capello's England squad has been threatened by Shay Given's arrival at Eastlands.
Before the Irishman chose to end an 11-year stint at Newcastle in January with an £8million switch, Hart had established himself as boss Mark Hughes' first-choice keeper.
But he has since found options limited, with the 21-year-old relegated to the bench, making his last appearance against Stoke on January 31.
After gaining his solo England cap against Trinidad & Tobago, Hart is keen for England career to flourish, but admits he must first oust Given at City.
'It has been hugely beneficial and a great honour to be involved in the England squad.
'My desire to become first choice for my country is as strong as anyone's. I need to play first-team football to play for England and my aim is to force my way back into the City side.'
Hart added that he bears Republic of Ireland international Given no malice, adding: 'Shay has come in and done exceptionally well - I have nothing against him.
'It is not his fault, and if I had been in his situation I would have done exactly the same. He has been very good to me and I will be the same to him.
'I have never taken a first-team place for granted ever since I arrived and I am happy to be at the club.
Hanging in there: Given has been an ever-present since arriving from Newcastle
'I would love to be playing, any player will tell you that, but right now I am not, and I have to work hard in training to try and get myself back in the side.
'There is no point in sulking. I have not lost my job, just my place in the team. At the moment I am not the first-choice keeper and I want to change that as fast as I can,' he told Sky Sports' website.
Man City battle Barca for Alves, but Porto want £25m for centre half
HATCHET MAN: Bellamy heals the Robinho 'rift' by insisting: You just need to play a lot better, that's all
MANCHESTER CITY FC NEWS FROM ACROSS THE WEB