Roberto Mancini confirmed as much when he said the striker was 'finished' at the club.
But on Wednesday Tevez's adviser Kia Joorabchian spoke for the first time about the incident and appeared to blame numerous people, from City manager Mancini to the club interpreter.
Case for the defence: Tevez (left) and Joorabchian deny he refused to play
Joorabchian insisted other high-profile players such as Cesc Fabregas, Samir Nasri and Luka Modric had refused to play for their clubs recently, but the fallout had been managed better at their clubs.
The Tevez camp maintain the forward did not refuse to come on in Germany but did decline to warm up, insisting he was ready for action.
Tevez is currently suspended for two weeks.
Backlash: City fans made their feelings clear at Blackburn
Speaking at the Leaders in Football conference at Stamford Bridge, Joorabchian said: 'Can Roberto and Carlos work things out? This is a personal relationship between two people.
'But we have seen this happen all through the summer. We have seen Fabregas, Modric, Nasri - the list goes on - handing in transfer requests, refused to travel, refused to play.
'Those managers handled it very differently, so did the clubs. Roberto has his style of management. He is very direct and totally different to, let's say, Sir Alex Ferguson or Arsene Wenger or even Carlo Ancelotti.
'Direct': Roberto Mancini has attempted to control his stars
'Cesc had a big problem all through the summer. Modric handed a transfer request in, He didn't play in the first Europa League game. And it was reported that he did not want to play. But they (managers) handled it slightly differently. Carlos and Roberto have to live with the manner with which it has been handled.'
Joorabchian also implied the Sky interview with Tevez in which the Argentinian said he did refuse to go on because his 'head wasn't in the right place', was lost in translation.
The interview was translated by City's opposition analyst Pedro Marquez, who is Portuguese.
Joorbachian said: 'Carlos does speak English but it is not good enough to host a full-blown interview. Both questions were interpreted incorrectly and both Carlos' answers were interpreted incorrectly.
Centre of attention: Tevez appeared to refuse to come on
'Carlos answered the second question: "Since my family were not here I asked the club to consider a move because I wanted to be close to my family.
'But since then I have managed to convince my family to come and live in Manchester. I have felt very good and comfortable again" .But the intepreter said something completely different.
'You can criticise him for anything but never for not wanting to play. There's been several times during his City career where he has taken injections to play, when doctors have told him not to play.'
The manager who signed Carlos Tevez for Manchester City has told the club to resolve their issues with the striker with some 'clarity'.
Sort it out: Former City boss Mark Hughes has called for clarity in the Tevez saga
Mark Hughes has told talkSPORT that his former employers need to reach a resolution with the Argentina striker.
'Everybody needs a little bit of clarity on what actually did happen, and no-one really knows apart from the people that were involved,' said Hughes.
'It's important that there are two sides to every story and if there has been some confusion or misinterpretation about the messages that were given, either by the manager or by the player, then that needs to be cleared up for the benefit of Manchester City, the player and his manager.'
Man City attract fresh focus over record ?400m stadium sponsorship after council dealMore striker woe for Man City as injured Balotelli is sent home from Italy campEverton chairman Kenwright says Toffees could have enticed City's ownersAll the latest Manchester City FC news, features and opinion