Malaga president vents fury at 'corrupt' UEFA

10 April 2013 02:17

Malaga president Abdullah Bin Nasser Al Thani has accused UEFA of being "corrupt" as he continued to vent his fury following the Spanish club's controversial Champions League exit at the hands of Borussia Dortmund.

Al Thani launched a furious online outburst on Tuesday night immediately following Malaga's 3-2 aggregate quarter-final defeat at the Westfalenstadion, which saw Dortmund score twice in stoppage time to claim a remarkable win - but Felipe Santana's 93rd-minute winner appeared to be scored from an offside position.

Al Thani claimed on Twitter his side had been the victims of "racism" and the Qatari owner returned to Twitter on Wednesday morning to continue to show his outrage as he wrote on his personal account, @ANAALThani.: "Yes, we were targeted from the beginning of the season by corrupt UEFA and based on racism."

In December, Malaga accused UEFA of unfair and unjust treatment after they were handed a one-season ban from European competition - to be imposed if the club qualify for the Champions League or Europa League during any of the next four seasons - due to outstanding debts.

Al Thani, who also posted pictures on Twitter of the offside decisions that had gone against his side as Dortmund scored their match-winning goal, was not the only person bitterly upset by Malaga's defeat.

Winger Joaquin Sanchez, whose 25th-minute strike from the edge of the area had put Malaga ahead, also hit out at UEFA and their president Michel Platini, telling Spanish radio station Cadena SER: "We suspect Platini and all of them there. Because we are Malaga and not Real Madrid, it's easier to do this with us.

"We're very hurt because we didn't deserve to go out in this way. We saw the footage of the goals after the game. Something like this shouldn't happen at this stage of the game, but of course, we are Malaga."

Coach Manuel Pellegrini said after seeing his team's fairytale Champions League debut campaign end in disappointment and controversy: "Firstly, after we went 2-1 ahead, there appeared to be no refereeing.

"Our players were being elbowed and pushed all over the place. Two of their players should have been given a red card, and there was a double offside for their third goal.

"It was extremely difficult to regain possession under these conditions. We're all extremely bitter at the outcome."

Source: PA