Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers insists the players he brings to Anfield during the January transfer window will not be allowed to dictate the roles they fill in his team.
Rodgers is believed to be set to seal a £12 million swoop for Chelsea striker Daniel Sturridge when the window opens on New Year's Day after the deal had briefly appeared on the rocks earlier last week.
The Reds are also hopeful of bringing former Liverpool winger Tom Ince back to the club from Blackpool, but Rodgers is adamant any new arrivals will have to earn their place after rumours Sturridge wanted assurances he would be given a run in his preferred central striker role.
"No-one coming into this football club will demand where they play, that's for sure," Rodgers said on Monday.
"As with any negotiations between any club and any player it has not been straightforward.
"As you've seen over the last number of weeks, there are always going to be things written about players, clubs and dealings.
"We're confident we can get some business done early in January, which will really help the squad. Until that happens, there is nothing really to add."
Rodgers also played down reports that England captain Steven Gerrard will be offered an extended contract in the near future, although he did admit he remains keen to keep the 32-year-old at Anfield.
"I've seen some stuff about Steven being offered a new contract but that hasn't been the case," Rodgers said.
"He still has 18 months or so on his deal but there is no doubt come the end of that he is still going to be in great condition.
"He is 32 now. He is playing a slightly different role in this team in terms of responsibility because he has a lot of younger talents around him.
"He hasn't scored nearly the number of goals he has in previous years but there are a number of reasons for that, but it is certainly not because of his quality.
"I really believe once that contract is up we'll sit down and look to extend that."