- Liverpool News
- News Archive
- League Table
- Premier League News
Liverpools Rodgers keen on January spending spree
Published : 14 Oct 2012 17:17:23Rss feed
Liverpool manager Brendan Rodgers has revealed he plans to improve his struggling side with several signings during the January transfer window.
Rodgers' team are languishing in 14th place in the Premier League after winning only one of their first seven matches and the Reds boss believes their poor form is down to a lack of strength in depth.
Liverpool are short of options in attack after failing to bring in a replacement for Andy Carroll following the England striker's loan move to West Ham.
The need for reinforcements has increased after Italian forward Fabio Borini suffered a recent foot injury that left Uruguay's Luis Suarez as the only recognised fit senior striker at the club.
Rodgers had been told to reduce the squad size and wage bill when he arrived from Swansea in pre-season, but he has spoken to the club's American owners about the need to bolster his squad in January and he is hoping to get the green light to bring in some new faces.
"There are still areas we want to reinforce - and we have to reinforce as soon as we can," Rodgers told the Mail on Sunday.
"Our best team are comparable to any team in the Premier League. But we're a very thin squad and we are having to challenge on a lot of fronts.
"I've had good conversations with the owners and they understand where we are at as a team."
Related Liverpool News