- Liverpool News
- News Archive
- League Table
- Premier League News
Liverpool FC boss Rafa Benitez: "There is no deal between me and Juventus"
Published : 01 Feb 2010 10:00:00Rss feed
Rafa Benitez 300 RAFA BENITEZ today rubbished reports in Italy which claim he has already reached a deal to take over at Juventus. Respected Italian newspaper La Repubblica ran a story yesterday that stated Benitez has a verbal agreement to take over at Stadio Olimpico di Torino at the end of the season. Speculation surrounding Benitez's position has intensified since Friday, after the manager - whose side beat Bolton Wanderers 2-0 on Saturday - claimed he was 'proud' to be linked with that job. However, Liverpool are growing increasingly tired of the story and the club's legal team sent a letter to Turin on Friday, reminding Juventus that Benitez is under contract until 2014. Should Juventus have approached Benitez either before they sacked Ciro Ferrara last week or over the weekend, they would be in breach of FIFA rules and Liverpool have made their stance clear. There is, though, obviously much work to be done to convince Benitez his future belongs on Merseyside but the feeling in the boardroom is he will be in the dug out for the opening game of next season. Rafa Benitez said: 'Contrary to reports in the Italian media this weekend, I want to make it absolutely clear I have no agreement with Juventus and have not and will not be meeting Juventus or their representatives or any other club.' 'I have a long term contract with Liverpool and I'll repeat what I said on Friday that I am happy here and my only focus is to do my job as well as I can to get the team back into to the top four beginning with the Derby against Everton.'