Liverpool FC 2 Manchester City 2: Final whistle report from Anfield

21 November 2009 02:47
Daniel Agger is injured against Manchester City

IT was the ultimate game of two halves as Liverpool shared the spoils with Manchester City at Anfield today.

With the opening 45 minutes a tepid affair, the game exploded into life with four goals after the break as Liverpool took the lead before coming back to salvage a point.

Martin Skrtel grabbed his first for the club to put the Reds ahead in the 50th minute before Emmanuel Adebayor levelled matters.

City then went ahead through Stephen Ireland in the 75th minute. The lead was short-lived, however, as Yossi Benayoun made it two-a-piece just a minute later.

There was a hint of offside about City's second but questions were raised once again of Liverpool's zonal marking system as Adebayor was left totally unmarked to head the visitors back into the game.

Having drawn all of their previous five league matches, it was no great surprise for the travelling support to leave Anfield discussing a solitary point again.

For Liverpool though, this will be seen as two more dropped in a run that now extends to just one win in 10 games. 

The Reds were boosted by the sight of Steven Gerrard making a first start for a month since limping out of the 2-1 Champions League defeat here to Lyon.

Following the much publicised placenta treatment in Serbia during the international break, Yossi Benayoun and Albert Riera were both on bench with Fabio Aurelio, but Glen Johnson failed a late fitness test, leaving Jamie Carragher to continue at right-back.  

The Reds' injury woes continued however when Daniel Agger was stretchered off following a clash of heads with Kolo Toure, and then Ryan Babel was withdrawn after a strong challenge from Nigel De Jong.

Agger was replaced by Sotirios Kyrgiakos while Benayoun came on for Babel, only for the Israeli to later be replaced by Aurelio with signs he may have suffered a recurrence of the hamstring injury sustained against Birmingham a fortnight ago.

With Pepe Reina having only one notable save to make before the break, Liverpool displayed the better invention and created the best chance of the first half after just four minutes when Skrtel forced an instinctive save from Shay Given from Gerrard's corner.

Source: Liverpool_Echo