Kuyt relishing fight for places

17 July 2011 04:13
iverpool forward Dirk Kuyt is looking forward to the battle for places this season following Kenny Dalglish's summer spending spree.[LNB] The Reds have bolstered their attacking options from midfield with the arrivals of Jordan Henderson, Charlie Adam and Stewart Downing for a combined total of around £49million.[LNB]That will leave Kuyt, who can play on the right or up front, in a fight for a first-team place. Yet the Dutchman has welcomed the extra competition.[LNB]"I'm pleased that we have this kind of players in the squad now, I think it's normal for a club like Liverpool that there's competition and the Premier League is a very hard league," he said.[LNB]"There are a lot of games to play for and it's impossible to do with 11 people so we need a big strong squad and I think the players who just arrived, they are very welcome for us and I think we needed them."[LNB]Scotland international Adam, who cost £9million following an impressive first season in the Premier League with Blackpool, reiterated Kuyt's stance on squad depth.[LNB]He said: "I think the competition for places will be good for the club. I thrive on that type of challenge and I'm sure the others lads will as well."[LNB]Adam got off the mark in only his second appearance for Liverpool during the club's 6-3 friendly win over Malaysia XI on Saturday, but the 25-year-old would swap his goalscoring habits for a trophy next season.[LNB]"The lads have received me really well and helped me ease into the team and I'm happy this has shown on the pitch so far," he added.[LNB]"But I came to Liverpool to win titles and I would trade in anything for that, even if it meant not scoring at all next season.[LNB]"It's going to be tough, but with our latest signings I'm confident enough to say that we will pose a genuine assault for not only the Premier League, but for the cups as well."

Source: Team_Talk