Jovanovic reveals Real Madrid snub
ew Liverpool signing Milan Jovanovic has revealed how he turned down a move to Real Madrid before agreeing his Anfield switch. The Serbia forward is expected to make his competitive debut for the Reds in Thursday night's Europa League qualifier against FK Rabotnicki. The 29-year-old, who can play on the left wing or as a striker, was lured to Merseyside by former boss Rafa Benitez on a free transfer. And former Standard Liege attacker Jovanovic revealed how he had previously rejected a move to the Bernabeu after he was not guaranteed regular first-team football. "I think 99 per cent of people I spoke to told me they did not understand why I said no to Real," said Jovanovic, who scored Serbia's winner against Germany in the group stage of the World Cup. "But maybe I am special. I thought if I went it would be as an ordinary player, but that, if I stayed, I would be where I felt good, where I was a star in Belgium. "It is only a small league but Standard Liege won two titles and two Super Cups while I was there and I won two personal awards, one from coaches and players and the second from journalists. So I was very happy. "Real offered me just a one-year deal with an option for two years. I said four, they said no and so I turned them down. Maybe they are the biggest club in the world, but I always knew that other big clubs would come. "I will never go somewhere where I only play a small part. Why? It is better to be happy somewhere. Now I only want to look forward and play for Liverpool."
Related Liverpool News