The 31-year-old will continue his individual recovery programme at the Reds' Melwood training ground while the majority of the squad fly out to China on Sunday ahead of their first friendly two days later.
"I'd really been looking forward to travelling out to China, Malaysia and Singapore and meeting first-hand as many of our fans as possible," the England international told the club's website.
"I'm really sorry that I won't now be able to do that.
"But after sitting down and talking with the medical experts and technical staff, it's been decided that the best course of action is for me to continue my rehabilitation programme at Melwood.
"It's disappointing I won't be with them, but I'm sure the lads who go out there will put a great show on for our fans."
Gerrard underwent an operation in early March to correct a troublesome groin problem which had been affecting him for some months.
He was ruled out for the remainder of the season and last month Gerrard hinted he may not be fully fit for Liverpool's early friendlies.
Gerrard returned to training with the rest of the squad at Melwood yesterday but was not involved with the main group of players.
"Steven and the medical team have done fantastically well so far and they are in the final stages of getting him back to full training," said manager Kenny Dalglish.
"I'm sure there will be supporters disappointed that Steven is unable to be with us in Asia, but I'm sure the same people will appreciate the importance of Steven giving himself the best possible opportunity of being fit to play against Sunderland on the opening day of the new campaign.
"Steven continuing his rehabilitation programme at Melwood is in everybody's long term interests."