Carra has no return plans

18 May 2008 12:54
Liverpool defender Jamie Carragher has denied suggestions that he could be lured out of international retirement by Fabio Capello's appointment as England coach. Carragher, 30, quit international football last year after revealing his disenchantment at his failure to play his way into the starting 11 under former coaches Sven-Goran Eriksson and Steve McClaren. But despite the appointment of Capello, the Reds vice-captain claims he has no plans to perform a U-turn. He feels that having played 55 times during the recently-completed season that his decision has been vindicated. "I said when I stepped away from playing for England that it would help my fitness to keep myself right for Liverpool, and this proves I made the right decision," Carragher told the Sunday Mirror. "I feel I've benefited from regular rests during international weeks and it has helped with little knocks and niggles clearing up. "My only disappointment was that Stevie and I didn't have another 90 minutes to add to the total by playing in the Champions League Final as well!"

Source: ESA