Babel keen on Reds stay
Ryan Babel has ruled out a loan move to Ajax, stating he is happy at Liverpool and keen to stay. The Holland international winger has failed to hold down a regular first-team place during his time on Merseyside, with the bulk of his Premier League appearances coming as a substitute. Earlier this month Babel reportedly revealed he would be interested in re-joining Ajax in the January transfer window in order to secure regular football ahead of the World Cup finals. However, the 22-year-old has stated those comments were twisted beyond recognition and that he has told manager Rafa Benitez that he is not looking for a move. "I didn't say any of those things," he told the Liverpool Echo. "I did an interview in Holland and I don't know who in England got hold of it but it was the worst translation I have ever seen. "The fact is I'm very happy here and I don't want to leave to go anywhere. I just want to concentrate on playing. "Yes, there is a lot of competition for places at Liverpool but that's the same at every top club. It was like that when I was at Ajax and that isn't a problem for me. "I heard about what was being reported when I was away with Holland. When I got back to Liverpool I went straight to the manager and told him it wasn't true. He accepted that and there is no problem." Babel impressed for The Reds out wide right in Saturday's 3-2 win over West Ham after delivering the cross for Fernando Torres to head home their winner. The Dutchman says the outing has given him confidence, although it remains to be seen whether he starts Tuesday's Carling Cup clash against Leeds United at Elland Road. "It was great to be out there and I'm really pleased I was able to help us get a crucial three points," he said. "Before I came on the manager said I needed to bring some energy to the game and that I needed to run at them. "I enjoyed it and that will give me some confidence. Now I hope to carry on like this. "If I keep working hard then hopefully I can get some more minutes and in the end get a place back in the starting line-up."
Related Liverpool News