Leicester 1-2 Huddersfield: Match Report

12 February 2013 10:01
Leicester 1-2 Huddersfield: Match Report - view commentary, squad, and statistics of the game as it happened.

Terriers book Latics date

Huddersfield booked an FA Cup fifth-round date with Premier League Wigan after seeing off Leicester 2-1 in their replay at the King Power Stadium.

The Terriers secured the match thanks to Sean Scannell's second-half winner but all the attention was on the club's vacant managerial position after they confirmed they will begin talks with Coventry manager Mark Robins to become Simon Grayson's replacement.

A spot in the fifth round of the cup may entice Robins even further, although Huddersfield's win was a smash-and-grab.

They went ahead in the fifth minute when Adam Clayton curled in a fine free-kick but they led for just two minutes before Michael Keane levelled from a set-piece.

Nigel Pearson's Leicester were in charge but they were hit on the break by Scannell's fine solo goal with 15 minutes remaining and despite a late onslaught Huddersfield were able to hold on.

They booked a home clash with Wigan on Sunday with sights on a Premier League scalp while Leicester are left to concentrate on their npower Championship promotion bid.

The Terriers will have had nightmares over their last visit to the King Power Stadium when they were on the end of a 6-1 league thumping on New Year's Day but they made a flying start and went ahead in the fifth minute.

Wes Morgan brought down Scannell and Clayton stepped up and fired a 25-yard free-kick past Kasper Schmeichel.

But their joy was short-lived as Leicester hit back just four minutes later.

Ritchie De Laet got on the end of Paul Gallagher's corner and, after his header was blocked, Keane was on hand to poke home his first senior goal.

That goal settled Leicester and they began to take control, with Gallagher looking particularly dangerous.

He dragged a 30-yard effort wide of Ian Bennett's goal and found himself in some good positions elsewhere around the penalty box but could not find the killer pass.

Huddersfield had not been in the running since their early strike but they threatened late in the half with two efforts from distance. First Scott Arfield saw a dipping effort go just over and then Schmeichel palmed away a Murray Wallace drive.

Leicester regained the momentum after the restart and Richie Wellens flew a shot wide while Marko Futacs had a close-range effort blocked following a dangerous corner.

However, they were unable to make their domination count and just as news of Huddersfield's contact with Robins was breaking, the visitors regained the lead in the 75th minute.

Scannell skinned Matty James on the left following a counter attack and he surged into the penalty area before slotting home.

Pearson's side threw everything forward in an attempt to force extra-time, with Jamie Vardy heading the best chance wide as Huddersfield advanced.

Source: PA

World Cup Group G

Belgium 1 0 0 3 3
England 1 0 0 1 3
Tunisa 0 0 1 -1 0
Panama 0 0 1 -3 0
Last updated : 08:44