Foxes top after draw

20 October 2012 06:17

Leicester's run of five straight npower Championship wins came to an end but a 1-1 draw with Birmingham was enough to lift them to the top of the table.

Blues boss Lee Clark badly needed a win and it looked like he might get one when Peter Lovenkrands put the home side ahead on the stroke of half-time but Ben Marshall equalised four minutes from time.

The point took Leicester above Cardiff on goal difference after the Bluebirds crashed to a 3-1 defeat against Nottingham Forest at the City Ground.

Andy Reid opened the scoring with a brilliant free-kick in the 25th minute and Daniel Ayala doubled the lead before Billy Sharp made it three two minutes after half-time. Heidar Helguson pulled one back in the 74th minute while Forest's afternoon was soured a little by the sending off of Adlene Guedioura in the 84th minute for a second yellow card.

Huddersfield are up to third thanks to a fifth win in seven games, this time a 2-1 victory over Wolves. James Vaughan opened the scoring with his third of the season in the 10th minute before a Jermaine Beckford volley made it two, and the Terriers held on despite Sylvan Ebanks-Blake pulling one back.

Fourth-placed Crystal Palace were held to a 2-2 draw in a tempestuous clash with Millwall that produced 10 yellow cards and one red.

The red went to Dean Moxey, who had already been booked, for a deliberate handball in the 42nd minute that allowed Liam Trotter to reduce Millwall's arrears from the penalty spot after Mile Jedinak (35) and Damien Delaney (39) had put Palace in control. The Lions had to wait until the 77th minute to equalise, Mark Beevers finding the top corner.

Hull climbed into the play-off places thanks to a last-gasp 2-1 win over struggling Ipswich courtesy of a brace from Nick Proschwitz, the second three minutes into injury time. Jay Emmanuel-Thomas had given Ipswich the lead in the 29th minute. Middlesbrough are level on 19 points with the Tigers after Marvin Emnes earned them a 1-0 victory at Brighton.

The comeback of the day came at the Reebok Stadium where managerless Bolton fought back from 2-0 down to defeat Bristol City 3-2. Steven Davies put the visitors two up with an early brace, but Chris Eagles and Jay Spearing levelled matters. Martin Petrov struck the winner eight minutes from time to begin life without Owen Coyle in fine style.

Blackburn, who are also without a manager, thought Jordan Rhodes' goal in the 34th minute would be enough for victory over Derby but Theo Robinson levelled two minutes from time to make it 1-1, while Watford and Barnsley secured 1-0 wins over Peterborough and Charlton respectively.

Source: PA