Leeds say players were attacked during pitch invasion at Carlisle

10 February 2010 12:58
Elland Road chief executive Shaun Harvey says he will make their grievances known to the football authorities following events at Brunton Park that overshadowed Leeds' dramatic defeat in the second leg of the Johnstone's Paint Trophy area final.

Leeds manager Simon Grayson said three Leeds players were punched when fans spilled on to the pitch after left-back Shane Lowry had his penalty saved by Adam Collin to secure Carlisle a trip to Wembley next month.

Children traumatised by War of Worlds abduction of teacherThe Yorkshire club were left incensed by the scenes in Cumbria and have launched their own investigation as the evening descended into chaos with Lowry and Robert Snodgrass understood to have been targeted by pitch invaders.

As the dust settled, Harvey demonstrated that Leeds are in no mood to let the matter rest as the Football Association looked into the night's action which also saw Grayson claim goalkeeper Casper Ankergren had been pelted with missiles and that a laser light was shone in his players' faces during the tie's denouement.

'It is our current intention to make a formal complaint to the football authorities about the apparent lack of security arrangements in relation to the safety of our players at Carlisle,' Harvey said.

'It is also our intention to supplement the evidence we already have by having further conversations with both Carlisle United Football Club and the Cumbria Police Force.

'We'd like to offer our congratulations to Carlisle United on reaching the final of the JPT and we will turn our attentions on the field to our remaining 18 league games and our quest for promotion.'

Grayson, who complained about the policing and stewarding in the aftermath of the game, added: 'I am still very unhappy at the lack of protection afforded to my players and am pleased that the club will be taking the matter further with the relevant authorities.'

No one at the Football League was available for comment but the FA have started looking into the game that saw Carlisle set up a JPT final against League One rivals with a 6-5 penalty shoot-out win over Leeds after the sides had finished 4-4 on aggregate.

Source: Telegraph