Juventus fined over racism aimed at Milan's Boateng by supporters
Italian champions Juventus have reaffirmed their anti-racism stance after being slapped with a 30,000 euro fine for fans racially abusing German-born Ghanaian Kevin-Prince Boateng.
Several dozen Juventus supporters, according to estimates in the press Monday, targeted AC Milan forward Boateng with 'bu-bu' racist chanting prior to the their match in Turin late Sunday.
Boateng, who made international headlines in January when he walked off the pitch to protest similar abuse during a friendly against a third division side, made no statement about the incident following Sunday's game, won 1-0 by Juventus.
Juventus were on Monday handed a 30,000 euro fine by league disciplinary chiefs.
Earlier this season the Italian champions launched an anti-racism drive following a similar incident, and on Monday they reiterated that stance.
"Juventus Football Club reminds its fans and the media that it is heavily involved in projects dedicated to integration and is against any form of racism or discrimination," said a statement on juventus.com.
Juventus said it "works very closely" with the UNESCO Centre to fight racism using a programme called 'Un calcio al razzismo' (Kick Out Racism)."
The statement added: "This commitment cannot therefore be brought into question simply because of the actions of individuals or groups of spectators which are highlighted by the intense media attention that football receives.
"Such behaviour does not represent the position of the club, its millions of fans or even the vast majority of spectators at Juventus Stadium."
Juventus said the statement "is not in any way intended to contest the decision of the sporting (disciplinary) judge".
Juventus require just four points from their remaining five matches in the current campaign to clinch a record 29th league title.
Related Juventus News