- Italy News
- News Archive
- League Table
- World Cup Group F News
Criscito hopes to resume international career
Italy defender Domenico Criscito is keen to resume his international career after withdrawing from the Euro 2012 squad over the 'calcioscommesse' match-fixing investigation.
The 25-year-old Zenit St Petersburg defender was named in Cesare Prandelli's squad for the tournament in Poland and Ukraine but pulled out after investigators searched his room at the Azzurri's training camp.
Criscito was left out of Italy's squad for last week's friendly against England and he blamed the fall-out from the corruption affair for his exclusion, despite him being cleared of any involvement.
"I have not talked to Prandelli since I left the squad's training base ahead of Euro 2012 but I hope one day I will play for my country's team again," he added.
"I went to Italy to talk to the investigators of this case and they told me that they had no further questions or claims," he said. "But unfortunately I was involved in that case, which still is not ended...
"I want to put this all behind me."
Criscito joined the reigning Russian champions last year from Genoa after a two-year spell at Juventus between 2007 and 2009.
Zenit are currently top of the Premier League but dropped points at Anzhi Makhachkala on Sunday, drawing 1-1.
Related Italy News