skip to content

Balotelli out of tournament

24 Jun 2013 19:47:14

Balotelli out of tournament

Italy striker Mario Balotelli will play no further part in the Confederations Cup and is to return home to receive treatment on a thigh injury, team doctor Enrico Castellacci announced on Monday.

The Italian Football Federation (FIGC) had previously revealed that Balotelli would not play in Thursday's semi-final against Spain after scans revealed a torn muscle in his left thigh.

Italy had hoped he would return to fitness in time for either the final or the third-place play-off on Sunday, but Castellacci ruled out that possibility and said the 22-year-old striker would now return to AC Milan.

"This morning we carried out some tests, but the medical conditions are not satisfactory and the player cannot recover between now and the final on Sunday. We prefer not to take any risks," Castellacci said during a press conference in Fortaleza.

"In agreement with the coach (Cesare Prandelli), it was decided to send him back to Milan after speaking to the medical staff at AC Milan, who will look after him."


AFP

Sponsored links