Gasperini rues Inter axe
Gian Piero Gasperini has expressed his disappointment after being sacked as Inter Milan coach just three matches into the new Serie A season.
The 53-year-old was dismissed on Wednesday morning after less than three months in charge, leaving the Nerazzurri searching for their fourth new coach in the last 15 months. Club president Massimo Moratti decided it was time for a change after Gasperini's side lost 3-1 at newly-promoted Novara on Tuesday night - their fourth defeat in five games this term.
Gasperini told www.inter.it: "In the end, the results are the ones that determine everything. I am very disappointed. It's a pity that our relationship had to be interrupted."
A statement from the club read: "The club wishes to thank Gian Piero Gasperini for the effort shown during his tenure and manifests its true disappointment for the interruption of the relationship with the coach."
Former Chelsea, Juventus and Roma coach Claudio Ranieri is the leading candidate to replace Gasperini. Moratti was coy on the topic when leaving the club's offices on Wednesday, but hinted the appointment would not come as a big surprise when asked who the next Inter coach will be.
"We've already discussed this, I believe," he said.
Former Genoa boss Gasperini was appointed on a two-year contract in June after Leonardo left the San Siro to become sporting director at Paris St Germain.
He had not been Inter's first choice, though, with Athletic Bilbao coach Marcelo Bielsa and Fiorentina boss Sinisa Mihajlovic both turning down the chance to guide Inter before the club turned to Gasperini.
Leonardo had taken up the reins in December in place of Rafael Benitez, who had been brought in six months earlier following the departure of Jose Mourinho to Real Madrid.
Inter finished runners-up in Serie A last campaign to arch rivals AC Milan but have yet to win a game this term. The Nerazzurri travel to Bologna on Saturday before taking on CSKA Moscow in Russia in the Champions League four days later.
Related Inter Milan News