Inter Milan president Massimo Moratti hasn't given up hope of securing the signature of Carlos Tevez, despite neighbours AC Milan appearing to be in prime position to land the Argentine.
Milan have already made two offers to Manchester City and have agreed terms with the 27-year-old.
But Moratti allegedly tried to trump his cross-town rivals last week by tabling a bid believed to be worth 25 million euros.
He denied that was just a spoiling tactic and said he is hopeful a deal can still be reached.
"If you do something you don't do it as a joke but because you think it can be a good operation," said Moratti.
"We've acquired information on how things are going, there's room to act, we'll see if we can do it or not.
"There are still three weeks left. It's not about being optimistic but rather seeing how things are."
Moratti is not just hoping to usurp Milan in the transfer market but he's also hoping his team can beat the rossoneri in the city derby this weekend.
"It's an important week, I was happy to see the team playing that way on Saturday (they beat Parma 5-0) because that gives me more serenity for the coming days," he added.
Fifth placed Inter trail leaders Milan by 10 points having had a disastrous start to the season.
However, they have won seven of their last eight league matches, although Milan are also on a 12-game unbeaten run.