Clubs yet to approve parachute plans
Published : 29 Apr 2010 20:58:29
Football League clubs have not approved plans to double parachute payments for relegated sides .
The Premier League are proposing the payments rise from £24million over two seasons to £48million over four. A meeting of the 72 Football League clubs ended without approval being given.
A Football League spokesman said: "Our clubs have had a full and frank discussion of the Premier League's parachute payment and solidarity proposals. Football League clubs did not approve the proposals as they stand and have mandated the board and executive to seek clarification of a number of issues."
One Championship club chairman told Press Association Sport that there had been a general split between Championship sides and the rest at Wednesday's meeting but insisted there was no danger of a breakaway forming.
He said: "Understandably the Championship clubs were in favour because it means a lot more money for them but the League One and Two sides are worried it will create a big gap.
"But there is no appetite for a breakaway - we need to sort this out between ourselves."
The change in parachute payments is part of a proposed new solidarity package paid by the Premier League to the Football League.
Under the proposal, clubs in the Championship who do not get parachute payments would receive £2.3million a season, League One sides £325,000 and League Two sides £250,000. Under the current package Championship sides received between £1.4million and £0.75million.
The parachute payments would be £16million for each of the first two seasons and £8million for each of the next two.
There are also concerns that the change could lead to a two-tier Championship with the relegated clubs given a huge advantage over those who have not been in the Premier League in the previous four years.