Keane brace bags Asia Trophy

31 July 2009 12:58
Tottenham lifted the Asia Trophy in Beijing after a convincing 3-0 win over Premier League rivals Hull City in the final. Spurs played some impressive football and took a deserved lead through captain Robbie Keane in the 17th minute. Hull threatened briefly in the second half but Keane sealed victory by converting a 69th-minute penalty before Aaron Lennon tapped in a third two minutes from time. Harry Redknapp's men were dominant throughout at the Workers' Stadium despite playing their fourth game in a week and they were scheduled to leave soon after the full-time whistle for a friendly in Hong Kong against South China on Sunday. Jermain Defoe's late strike was enough to beat West Ham on Wednesday and the quality of this latest victory will raise hopes of a successful season for Spurs. Keane returnKeane replaced Roman Pavlyuchenko alongside Defoe up front and they were impressive from the outset, Defoe's fourth-minute through ball almost finding Keane only for new Hull defender Steven Mouyokolo to avert the danger. But Spurs took the lead when a fine long ball from Luka Modric found Keane and the Republic of Ireland captain unleashed a right-footed strike that was too strong for Hull goalkeeper Tony Warner to keep out. The Tigers had a rare opening four minutes later when former Spurs midfielder Dean Marney picked up the ball on the right side of the box but his square ball was collected by Spurs keeper Heurelho Gomes. Spurs continued to look more dangerous and in the 27th minute Defoe fired goalwards from Jermaine Jenas' pass but the England striker was denied by a fine one-handed save by Warner. The former Portsmouth player forged another opportunity soon after but this time Kamil Zayatte did well to block his attempt. Hull striker Daniel Cousin turned Vedran Corluka 10 minutes before the break and his cut-back found Marney, who forced Gomes' only save of the first half with a side-footed effort from the edge of the box. Spurs soon regained control, though, and Defoe nudged the ball narrowly wide after bringing down a long ball by defender Tom Huddlestone. Patience The Londoners continued to spray passes across the pitch as they patiently built towards an opening at the start of the second half. But Hull defended well and, buoyed by the half-time introduction of Geovanni, exerted some pressure of their own just after the hour mark. A 63rd-minute corner was cleared as far as the Brazilian forward, who volleyed back towards goal. Zayatte re-directed the shot with his head but Gomes did well to palm behind. A header from substitute Kevin Kilbane then forced Gomes to tip the ball over while Zayatte spurned another opportunity by side-footing wide from Geovanni's cross. But Spurs added a second in the 69th minute as Defoe latched onto Huddlestone's ball and was brought down by Warner, referee Martin Atkinson having little option but to point to the penalty spot. Keane stepped up to coolly sidefoot to Warner's left, with the Hull keeper diving the other way. That finished Hull off and Spurs carved open the Tigers' defence again late on as new signing Kyle Naughton sent a low right-wing ball across the face of goal for Lennon to convert at the far post.

Source: SKY_Sports