Hull charged by FA over booking reaction in Premier League clash with Arsenal

14 February 2017 05:39

Hull have been charged with failing to control their players during Saturday's Premier League match at Arsenal.

Tigers players surrounded referee Mark Clattenburg after Arsenal full-back Kieran Gibbs was only booked for fouling Lazar Markovic when the Hull winger was clear on goal.

A Football Association statement read: " Hull City have been charged for failing to control their players.

"It is alleged that in or around the 55th minute of the game against Arsenal on Saturday (11 February 2017), the club failed to ensure that its players conducted themselves in an orderly fashion.

"The club have until 6pm on 17 February 2017 to respond to the charge."

Hull trailed 1-0 at the time and lost the match 2-0.

The incident that sparked the reaction leading to the FA charge saw Markovic flattened by Gibbs as he attempted to control a long bouncing ball, with keeper Petr Cech the only other Arsenal player between him and the goal.

Hull were incensed that Gibbs was not sent off, their frustrations compounded by having conceded a controversial goal in the first half.

On that occasion, Alexis Sanchez's initial effort was blocked by Hull keeper Eldin Jakupovic before the ball rebounded into the net off the Chile forward's raised hand.

Arsenal manager Arsene Wenger later sympathised with Hull over the goal, while Hull full-back Andy Robertson said Clattenburg had apologised to their players about the same matter at the start of the second half.

"When we came out at half-time, the referee's apologised to us and said there was handball so he's obviously looked at it at half-time and seen he was in the wrong," Robertson told the Hull Daily Mail.

"Not many referees admit they're wrong so it's good but it doesn't make (the result) any better."

Sanchez wrapped up Arsenal's win from a stoppage-time penalty after Hull's Sam Clucas handled on the line and was sent off by Clattenburg.

Source: PA