Hull 0-0 Bristol City: Match Report

19 April 2013 10:01
Hull 0-0 Bristol City: Match Report - view commentary, squad, and statistics of the game as it happened.

Frustrating night for Tigers

Hull's hopes of automatic promotion suffered a minor setback following a frustrating goalless draw with bottom club Bristol City at the KC Stadium.

The point increased the Tigers' lead over Watford to eight and a win for struggling Blackburn at Vicarage Road will see Steve Bruce's men promoted.

However, although Rovers have won their last two, it is likely the East Yorkshire club will need a positive result at Barnsley on Saturday or against leaders Cardiff on the final day of the season to see them secure a top-two place.

Hull have often been accused of failing to kill off teams in the npower Championship this season, but in truth relegated Bristol City were rarely threatened by what was a flat performance from Bruce's men.

Only Cardiff have won more home matches than Hull's 13 so far this season, while bottom side Bristol City came into the match with the worst away record in the division with their midweek defeat at home to Birmingham confirming their relegation and their final position at the bottom of the table.

It took 24 minutes for the first meaningful shot on goal to be registered, as Robbie Brady made room 25 yards out, with his effort going just wide of Tom Heaton's near post.

Hull had an appeal for a penalty rightly turned down in the 33rd minute when Fryatt and Gedo combined for the first time with the latter running through.

In on goal the Egyptian went down under a challenge from Matthew Bates who seemingly outmuscled the striker.

It was a rare moment of excitement for the crowd, as Hull struggled to get going, with slow and inaccurate passing causing plenty of frustration in the stands.

Seven minutes before the break Gedo combined with Stephen Quinn whose accurate cross found the head of the onrushing George Boyd who headed over from 12 yards, but that was as good as it got in a dull opening 45 minutes.

Six minutes into the second period and David Stockdale was tested for the first time by Steven Davies' low cross and although the on-loan Fulham man spilt the ball, no-one in red was on hand to tap home.

For Hull the start of the second replicated the first and with Boyd - their main creative force - dropping deeper and deeper, the front two had little of the ball.

The visitors grew in confidence - no doubt buoyed by their ability to win the ball back with ease - and with men starting to break from midfield, looked more dangerous on the counter attack.

A change was a necessity at this stage for Hull and after 67 minutes the ineffectual Gedo was replaced by Jay Simpson, while Nick Proschwitz came on for Fryatt.

Sam Baldock had Stockdale scrambling with a low drive shortly after, with the stopper thankful the effort ended up wide.

Hull finally started to show some urgency and thought they should have had a penalty when Quinn was bundled over in the box with nine minutes to go.

However it looked to be nothing more than a slip by the midfielder, who had struggled to regain his balance following an initial fall.

The home fans tried to spur their side on, but in truth the visiting back-line were more than a match and they deserved that bit of luck late on when Heaton kept out David Meyler's shot.

Source: PA