Senegals Diouf eager to extend Hanover stay
Senegal striker Mame Diouf has said he is eager to extend his Hanover 96 contract, despite interest from Premier League side Cardiff City, after scoring twice on Saturday.
Diouf, 26, is out of contract with his Bundesliga side in June and netted twice in the last 10 minutes in their 3-1 home win over Borussia Moenchengladbach.
Cardiff City manager Ole Gunnar Solskjaer is reported to have tried to lure his former Manchester United team-mate back to the Premier League in last month's transfer window.
But Diouf is now keen to extend his Hanover stay after a below-par start to the season.
"I love the city and I am starting to play like I want to; I want to focus on what happens on the pitch and we'll see what happens," said the ex-Blackburn Rovers striker.
Hanover had been chasing 20-year-old Chile forward Nicolas Castillo, who recently signed for Belgium's FC Brugge, in January's transfer window.
But Diouf has produced improved performances in his side's last two wins as Hanover moved up to 10th in the table.
He struggled in the first half of the season when ex-Hanover coach Mirko Slomka played him as a lone striker.
New coach Tayfun Korkut has introduced a 4-4-2 formation and Diouf has flourished, providing two assists in last weekend's 3-1 win at VfL Wolfsburg.
The Senegal star said he is enjoying playing alongside Latvia's Artjoms Rudnevs, who has now scored two goals in his two games since joining on loan from Hamburg last month.
"As a striker, it's good to have someone next to you, we work well together, we help each other out when we get tired," said Diouf.
Related Hannover News