The Gills have resumed their quest to bring in the forward after the two clubs failed to agree a permanent deal before the transfer deadline last week.
Stimson told the Kent Messenger "We have put something to Charlton, and are waiting for an answer.
"It could happen in a day or a week. I am always hopeful, until I'm told no."
Meanwhile, the club have appointed Michael Anderson as a director.