- Germany News
- News Archive
- League Table
- World Cup Group D News
Germany Vs Italy: Head to head stats
Published : 28 Jun 2012 09:29:29Rss feed
Germany are firm favourites for the second semi-final against Italy but history tells a different story.
- These two sides have met 30 times in their history: Italy lead by 14 wins to seven, with nine draws completing the record.
- The sides have met seven times in competitive games, all of which came at either World Cups or European Championships. Germany have yet to win (D4, L3). Italy beat the Germans in the World Cup semi-finals in 1970 and 2006.
- The two previous European Championship clashes both ended in group stage draws; 1-1 in 1988 and 0-0 in 1996. The latter result eliminated Italy.
- Mats Hummels and Sami Khedira are the only outfield players to have completed four Euro 2012 games without conceding a single foul.
- Italy have failed to reach the final in two of the 10 semi-finals they have played at major tournaments. They lost to USSR at Euro 88 and to Argentina (on penalties) at the 1990 World Cup.
- Germany have previously contested six European Championship semi-finals, failing to reach the final just once - a 2-1 defeat to the Dutch in 1988. Overall, they have reached the semi-final of major tournaments 17 times, losing on just six occasions.
- Italy have failed to score in their two previous European Championship semi-finals. They progressed to the final in 1968 after winning a coin toss following a 0-0 draw with the USSR. The Soviets exacted revenge 20 years later, winning 2-0 at the same stage.
- The Germans have won their last 15 competitive games, a new world record.
- The Italians have been involved in eight goalless draws at European Championship finals - more than any other side.
- Six of Italy’s last seven goals at the Euros have come from set-pieces, whereas 11 of Germany’s last 12 have come from open play.
- Italy have attempted the most shots so far at Euro 2012 (59), and only Cristiano Ronaldo (22) has mustered more shots than Mario Balotelli (14).
- In the quarter-final match against Greece, Miroslav Klose has score his 64th goal in his 120th cap for Germany and he is now just four strikes away from Gerd Mueller’s record of 68 goals for the Mannschaft.
- Italy have fired over the most accurate crosses from open play so far at Euro 2012 (17).
- Germany boast the best attack at Euro 2012 (nine goals scored) while Italy have the second-best defence (two goals conceded).
Related Germany News