skip to content

Prandelli holds Galatasaray talks

03 Jul 2014 12:02:01

Prandelli holds Galatasaray talks

Galatasaray have begun talks with former Italy coach Cesare Prandelli to become their next manager, the Turkish side announced on Thursday.

The Istanbul outfit, who last week revealed they had held an "exchange of ideas" with former Manchester United manager David Moyes, are looking for a new coach after parting company with Italian tactician Roberto Mancini last month.

Prandelli resigned as Italy coach last week after the national team's 1-0 defeat to Uruguay at the World Cup, which saw them exit the competition early.

A statement from Galatasaray read: "Galatasaray Sportif has announced that they have begun negotiating with the Italian football manager Cesare Prandelli.

"The public will be updated about further developments."

The 56-year-old Prandelli, who had two years left in his contract with the Italian football federation, guided Roma and Fiorentina before replacing Marcello Lippi at the Italy helm in 2010.

He led the Azzurri to a runners-up finish in Euro 2012 and to third place in last year's Confederations Cup.

Former Everton and Manchester United manager Moyes was recently considered a candidate to take over at the Turk Telekom Arena.

A spokesman for Galatasaray told Press Association Sport last week that Moyes had met the club president, and added: ''They just spoke to each other, exchanging ideas - that it is it. It is true the president talked with David Moyes."

At that time, the spokesman said Germany coach Joachim Low and United States counterpart Jurgen Klinsmann were their preferred options.

Mancini led Galatasaray to second place in the Super Lig behind Fenerbahce and also won the Turkish Cup, but left after just one season in charge.


PA

Sponsored links