- Fulham News
- News Archive
- League Table
- Premier League News
Hughes joins race for Bellamy
Mark Hughes has become the latest manager to declare an interest in signing Manchester City striker Craig Bellamy.
Sunderland boss Steve Bruce and Celtic's Neil Lennon both raised the possibility of recruiting the Welshman on Thursday and Fulham manager Hughes has now joined them.
If Bellamy did move to Craven Cottage it would be the third time Hughes had signed the 31-year-old after also taking him to Blackburn and City, while he played with and under the Fulham boss when he was in charge of Wales.
City manager Roberto Mancini seems to have put an end to Bellamy's time at Eastlands by suggesting he will not be included in his 25-man squad for the coming league season.
He said: "I have to choose 25. The rest must find another team. Craig is out of the list."
Bellamy faces stiff competition from the likes of Emmanuel Adebayor, David Silva, Robinho, Roque Santa Cruz and Carlos Tevez for a place under Mancini. And Hughes admits that he would be keen on signing the forward despite previously claiming that he thought a move would be beyond Fulham financially.
When asked if he would be interested in signing Bellamy, Hughes responded: "Yes. He was one of the top players in the Premier League and if he comes on the market, and if we're in the position where we can conclude a deal for Craig Bellamy, then yes we would be very interested.
"At the end of the day the way the situation seems to be forming for Craig that Manchester City won't use him at Premier League level, so from Craig's point of view it is very important that he makes the right decision for his career because a wrong decision at this point in time could hurt him, so I wish him well in what decision he takes."
The Fulham boss also confirmed his desire to keep stopper Mark Schwarzer at Craven Cottage. The 37-year-old has been linked with a move to Arsenal, who had a Â£2million bid for the player rejected in May.
Hughes hinted Schwarzer has his heart set on a move to the Emirates Stadium, but said: "From our point of view the situation has not changed. There was interest from Arsenal in May. Their bid was refused. We have not had any more bids and we wouldn't encourage any."
Related Fulham News