Berbatov deal has Jol bubbling
Fulham's signing of striker Dimitar Berbatov could be the biggest in the history of the club, according to manager Martin Jol.
The 31-year-old is set to complete a move from Manchester United despite interest from the likes of Italian pair Juventus and Fiorentina.
Jol, who worked with Berbatov whilst manager of Tottenham, will be delighted to see the deal go through and believes the goalscoring record of the former Bulgaria captain speaks for itself.
He said: "I'm a very happy man and I think our fans will be very happy and proud because it is probably the biggest in the history of the club, that is how I feel.
"He has got a very good record, if you look at his record internationally, and if you look at his record at Manchester United I don't think there are a lot of strikers, maybe (Robin) van Persie in five years time, who could achieve that." The fee for Berbatov is believed to be somewhere between £3-£5million, with the player's wages expected to provide a stumbling block. But Jol believes his side were in as strong a position as their Italian counterparts, who had earlier argued between themselves as to why Berbatov had not signed for their clubs. "I don't think Fiorentina will pay unbelievable wages, even Juve, it is a big club but he situation in Italy is not as good as people think," said Jol.
"We are a healthy club so we can do what other clubs can do, if you see Sunderland they brought (Steven) Fletcher for a lot of money and we are in the same position, so we are not probably paying what the big clubs are paying - but we are a healthy club." The 56-year-old Jol went on the record during his time as Spurs boss that Berbatov would be sold 'over his dead body'. The forward was sold to Manchester United for more than £30million shortly afterwards but Jol is hoping for a continuation of their working relationship from White Hart Lane. "When I said in my last period at Spurs he would go over my dead body - I'm still here and so is he," he said. "We have a good relationship.
He he knows he will enjoy his football with me that is for sure, hopefully he will score goals with other good players around him." There may be more attacking players brought in to Craven Cottage before the transfer window closes tomorrow. Jol lost strikers Andrew Johnson, Orlando Sa and Pavel Pogrebnyak during the summer and last season's top goalscorer Clint Dempsey is still likely to leave after making it clear he does not wish to remain a Fulham player. Losing that number of attacking players means Jol would like to strengthen that area, with Wigan's Hugo Rodallega and Mladen Petric also on board, and he hopes Berbatov could make his debut at West Ham on Saturday. "We ended up with one striker, then we had two." "We did have four or five (last season) and we lost them and now we feel that maybe we can do something in that area in the next day...so hopefully we will be as strong as we were. "I will have to speak to him (Berbatov), I spoke to him last week and he felt good but now he is worried because he hasn't played all these games - but I think that if everything is fine with his medical he can be involved."
Related Fulham News