Ajax blocking Jol Fulham move
Martin Jol's appointment as Fulham manager is being held up by Ajax's refusal to negotiate over compensation. It is understood that Jol wants to succeed Roy Hodgson at Craven Cottage but his path is being blocked by Ajax, who are keen to retain the 54-year-old. The development contradicts earlier reports in the Dutch media that stated Jol is prepared to snub Fulham, providing Ajax give him the funds to strengthen the squad this summer. "They (Fulham) were interested but in principle I will stay at Ajax," Jol told Amsterdam-based newspaper De Telegraaf on Tuesday morning. Jol had been told he was not able to recruit this summer until Holland right-back Gregory van der Wiel and Uruguay striker Luis Suarez had departed - freeing up funds. But, following talks with financial director Jeroen Slop and chief executive Rik van den Boog, Jol has been reassured he can bring in a cheap right-wing option and then spend more if the likes of Van der Wiel and Suarez leave. The plan needs to be approved by the club's supervisory board - headed by Uri Coronel - but that is unlikely to be a problem after they recruited Jol just a year ago.
Related Fulham News