Forfar 0-1 Rangers: Match Report

22 September 2013 03:01
Forfar 0-1 Rangers: Match Report - view commentary, squad, and statistics of the game as it happened.

Little strike steers Gers to win

Rangers just about made amends for their League Cup exit at the hands of Forfar the last time the two sides met by scraping a 1-0 victory in their Scottish League One meeting at Station Park.

The Light Blues were sent crashing out of the cup after extra-time on the previous visit to this ground but at least avoided defeat on this occasion thanks to a first-half strike from Andy Little.

The performance overall left a lot to be desired but did allow the Glasgow giants to maintain their 100 per cent league start to the season.

Rangers were boosted by the news that Lee Wallace was passed fit to start but fellow injury concern Lewis Macleod failed to make the squad.

The club were still under a transfer embargo when the sides met in the cup last month and, with Ally McCoist now free to select from his entire squad, seven of their new signings started.

But, despite the mass changes in personnel, Rangers looked no more convincing for the majority of this match.

In fact, Forfar were the more dangerous side at the outset and some decent play down the left flank by Dale Hilson provided an early chance for Omar Kader, which he screwed over.

There was slight concern for the visitors when Lee McCulloch stayed down after making a timely block to prevent Chris Templeman from unleashing a shot, but the skipper was able to continue after treatment.

It was McCulloch who could have grabbed the opener when he met Arnold Peralta's corner and his effort was hooked to safety by former Rangers man Marvin Andrews.

Just as the travelling support were beginning to grow impatient, Rangers took the lead two minutes before the break.

A poor clearance out of defence from Darren Dods fell for David Templeton and he teed up the shot for Little to rifle beyond the grasp of Darren Hill from 10 yards.

Rather than be downhearted at falling behind, Forfar emerged for the second half clearly determined to haul themselves back into the match.

A great, mazy run by Hilson ended with him having a crack at goal and drilling just over the crossbar.

He then found himself clean through on goal and lobbed goalkeeper Cammy Bell only to see the ball fall just wide of the target to the relief of the visitors.

Rangers knew they needed a second goal to ease the pressure and Little turned provider for Jon Daly in front of goal, but he was closed down by the Forfar goalkeeper.

There was another scare for Rangers at the other end when Templeton was called into action to clear a Dods shot off the line as the home side pressed for the equaliser.

Nicky Law could have made the points safe in injury time only for his effort to fizz past the upright, with Rangers finally managing to see out the 90 minutes with the narrow win.

Source: PA