- Fenerbahce News
- News Archive
- League Table
- Turkish First Division News
Kuyt signs for Turkey's Fenerbahce
Dutch international forward Dirk Kuyt ended a six year spell with English Premier League side Liverpool on Sunday after he agreed to move to Turkish giants Fenerbahce according to media reports.
The 31-year-old - capped over 80 times and a member of the Dutch side beaten in the 2010 World Cup final - reportedly signed a three year contract with the Turkish league runners-up for a fee of 1-million euros.
Kuyt only won one trophy while at Liverpool, last season's League Cup although he also played in an FA Cup final and a Champions League final.
Fenerbahce, one of the giant Istanbul teams, officially declared the transfer to the Turkish stock exchange, said the private NTV television.
"Kuyt wants to play for Fenerbahce... We signed a three-year contract," Ali Yildirim, board member of Fenerbahce, was quoted as saying by the Anatolia news agency.
"We had been working for this transfer for months... He is a very important player, a big win for Fenerbahce," he added.
Yildirim declined to comment on the transfer fee, saying that would be announced later.
Kuyt is expected to come to Turkey late June, said Yildirim.
Fenerbahce finished second in the Turkish league after Galatasaray and qualified for next season's Champions League.
But the final decision rests with the Turkish Football Federation (TFF), which previously banned Fenerbahce from the 2011-2012 Champions League after allegations that several matches were fixed during the 2010-2011 season.
The investigation into the allegations led to a wave of arrests last summer, while Fenerbahce was hit hardest by the case that sent its boss, Aziz Yildirim and more than a dozen team members behind bars in the ongoing trial.
Related Fenerbahce News